· Women Who Rock was directed by Carol Stein and Susan Wittenberg. They worked closely with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. (The Museum currently features a related exhibition, Women Who Rock: Vision, Passion, Power, which runs through February 2012.)
· “Women Who Rock”, hosted by Cyndi Lauper, airs as part of the PBS Arts Fall Festival on November 18th at 9PM EST on PBS (check local listings).
· The PBS Arts Fall Festival is a multiplatform event anchored by nine films that highlight artists and performances from around the country.
· “Women Who Rock” features the stories of trailblazers like Bessie Smith, Ma Raney, Mother Maybelle, and Mahalia Jackson as well as contemporary stars Darlene Love, Bonnie Raitt, Cyndi Lauper, Wanda Jackson, Mavis Staples, Deborah Harry, and Kathleen Hanna of the bands Bikini Kill and Le Tigre.
· The program breaks the female influence on rock and roll into distinct eras, starting with the music’s blues roots in the 1920s and ‘30s. It travels forward through time, telling stories of rock and roll’s emergence in the 1950s, the girl group and counterculture era of the ‘60s, disco and punk in the ‘70s, celebrations of empowerment and fun throughout the ‘80s, into today’s predominance of women in pop, and much more.
· For more information, visit pbs.org/arts.